The GMC Terrain’s bold look and segment-leading fuel efficiency continue to appeal to buyers who want the capability and flexibility of a SUV in an efficient package. Terrain’s Ecotec 2.4L four-cylinder engine with continuously variable valve timing and direct injection technology achieves segment-best EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of 32 mpg for FWD models. For 2012, the engine adds available E85 FlexFuel capability.
Terrain’s audio system is upgraded to a seven-inch touch screen with a simplified display for easy operation. The screen layout is similar to that of a smartphone with easily identifiable application buttons. This standard touch screen also allows the standard rear camera image to be displayed on the larger screen for enhanced visibility when backing up.
For late 2012 model year introduction, GMC will make IntelliLink available to Terrain buyers. It helps them customize their in-vehicle entertainment while still keeping their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. IntelliLink uses Bluetooth and USB to allow smart phone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls, and streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®.
Terrain is offered in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models, in SLE and SLT trim levels. All models include four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, as well as six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags. Customers may choose a 3.0L V-6 engine – also FlexFuel-capable on engines with federal emissions – that achieves an EPA-estimated 24 mpg on the highway.
- Balanced, athletic stance characterized by bold, muscular fender flares offering a commanding view of the road.
- Surfacing is angular yet refined, with a strong front-end appearance that features precise, squared-off edges.
- Three-element grille, with a prominent chrome surround and projector-beam headlamps mounted in large, rectangular housings with chrome accents.
- Premium interior is influenced by industrial sculpture, with contrasting stitching and fine materials that create a structured look throughout the cabin.
- “Floating” center stack, highlighted by warm, ambient lighting, houses ergonomic comfort and convenience controls.
- Standard, segment-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat can be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (200 mm), providing increased passenger comfort or greater rear cargo capacity.
- The 60/40-split rear seatback offers additional configurations for passengers and cargo. The rear cargo area offers 31.6 cubic feet (894 liters) of storage, as well as one of the Terrain’s four auxiliary power outlets.
Terrain interior – standard and available features
- The introduction of GMC IntelliLink combines with OnStar to bring segment-exclusive infotainment technology to Terrain at a time more and more consumers are buying smart phones. IntelliLink extends the OnStar experience from safety and security to information and entertainment by seamlessly integrating the capability of a smart phone into the vehicle so that hand-held phones may be safely stowed while driving. IntelliLink features:
- Enhanced hands-free voice control system powered by Nuance®, which allows simple voice commands to initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media from portable MP3 players and smart phones.
- PANDORA Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio allow users to create personalized radio stations based on favorite artists or genres. IntelliLink integrates control of both of these apps for a driver-directed listening experience.
- Gracenote® identifies the music collection on the driver’s USB device, MP3 player or smart phone and presents information such as artist name, genres and album cover art on the IntelliLink screen.
- Upgraded USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices, and gives the customer the ability to update IntelliLink with future feature enhancements.
IntelliLink joins standard and available features on the Terrain such as:
- New-for-2012 AM/FM/XM stereo with CD player, MP3 playback capability and seven-inch, touch screen, high definition, full-color display.
- Standard rear-vision camera that provides a view of objects or people directly behind the vehicle.
- Standard USB audio connectivity and MP3 playback for your portable music player – plug it in and control the features right from the radio or the optional steering wheel controls and USB thumb drives or (say USB enabled storage devices).
- Standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio, which provides coast-to-coast tunes .
- Available programmable power liftgate that can be set to open to a lower height, clearing garage obstructions or making it easier to reach for those of shorter stature.
- Available remote vehicle start that can be used to automatically heat up a cold Terrain on a January morning or cool it down on a hot August afternoon.
Chassis and suspension
Terrain is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience.
- Long, 112.5-inch (2,857 mm) wheelbase and wide front and rear tracks that support car-like ride and handling traits. The long wheelbase and wide tracks reduce body roll for a more stable driving experience.
- Strong structure with four-wheel independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback.
- Rack-mounted electronic power steering on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.0L V-6-equipped models.
Available all-wheel drive.
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps keeps the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver.
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock brakes with traction control.
- Family of large wheels, including 17-inch and 18-inch aluminum and chrome-clad aluminum, with available 19-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels.
Efficient, proven powertrains
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.0L V-6 in the GMC Terrain feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology.
- Standard 2.4L Ecotec direct-injected I-4 engine delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with segment-best highway fuel economy of 32 mpg (on FWD version) and up to 600 miles of highway-only cruising range per tank. E85 FlexFuel capability is available vehicles with federal emissions.
- Available 3.0L direct-injected V-6 engine is rated at 264 horsepower (197 kW) with EPA-estimated fuel economy of 24 mpg (FWD version.) On vehicles with federal emissions, the engine can operate on E85 ethanol, regular unleaded fuel or a combination of both. E85 ethanol is made of renewable plant materials and helps reduce both greenhouse gases and petroleum consumption.
- Efficient six-speed automatic transmission with an “Eco” mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The GMC Terrain is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one.
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags.
- Stardard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation. The StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System with Traction Control and rollover mitigation is designed to improve vehicle stability on most road surfaces, especially during emergency maneuvers.
- Daytime running lamps make the Terrain more visible to other drivers and to pedestrians.
- Standard rear-vision camera helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle
- A solid structure includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash.
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
- Lane departure warning and forward collision alert available only on SLT-2 with V-6.
All GMC Terrrain models are equipped with segment-exclusive OnStar technology, which includes the Advanced Crash Response System, hands-free calling, vehicle diagnostics, emergency service support, and six months of the Directions and Connections plan for hands-free route guidance.
- The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders in the event of a moderate to severe crash, even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Directions and Connections technology provides voice-activated route guidance support and eNav service that allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find a subscriber’s vehicle in the event it is stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to a stolen vehicle in the event it is involved in a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.