2013 GMC SIERRA 2500HD AND 3500HD TRUCKS WORK HARD WITH STYLE
GMC Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD trucks work hard – and do it with unmistakable GMC style. There are 10 Sierra 2500HD models, eight 3500HD models and six Sierra Denali HD models – including regular cab, extended cab and crew cab body styles offered in 2WD and 4WD, as well as single- and dual-rear-wheel configurations. All are available with either a standard gas V-8 or the powerful Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel.
Their capabilities include:
- 2500HD maximum payload of 4,212 pounds (1,910 kg) with the available Performance Package on regular cab long box models (2WD)
- 2500HD conventional towing capacity of 13,000 pounds (5897 kg)
- 2500HD fifth-wheel towing capacity of 17,800 pounds (8,074 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD maximum payload of 7,222 pounds (3,276 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD conventional towing capacity of 18,000 pounds (8,164 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD fifth-wheel towing capacity of 23,100 pounds (10,478 kg).
Work Truck, SLE and SLT models are offered, as well as the distinctive Sierra Denali HD models, which blend heavy-duty capability with distinctive style and luxury appointments. Range highlights include:
- Fully-boxed, high-strength-steel frames
- 6.6L Duramax diesel rated 397 hp (296 kW) and B20 biodiesel capability backed by the Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission
- Standard 36-gallon (136 L) fuel tank and engine efficiency enable up to 680 miles (1,090 km) between fill-ups with the 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel
- Smart exhaust brake feature on 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel that provides greater control on grades and reduced brake pad wear
- Control features including trailer sway control, integrated trailer brake control, hill start assist, automatic grade braking, intelligent brake assist and larger brakes.
The Duramax powertrain is proven combination, with more than 1.2 million sold since 2000.
New for 2013 is a bi-fuel compressed natural gas fuel system and bi-fuel-compatible version of the 6.0L V-8 engine. It features hardened valves and valves seats that enable to run on gasoline or compressed natural gas. The bi-fuel package is available on 2500HD extended cab models.
The 6.0L powertrain now features powertrain grade braking in the normal transmission mode – it was previously incorporated only when the Tow/Haul mode was activated. It uses engine torque to help slow the vehicle on descents, which helps reduce brake wear.
Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD trucks are comfortable and connected, with technology features including GMC WiFi (dealer-installed), USB connectivity, Bluetooth phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, OnStar 9.0 and navigation. There’s also a navigation radio with CD, USB port and an 80-gig hard drive (30 gigs of memory), along with heated and cooled front seats available on SLT and standard on Denali models.
Also new for 2013 is a pair of exterior colors – Sonoma Red Metallic and Heritage Blue Metallic (not available on Denali).
Sierra Denali HD Details
Sierra Denali HD models are offered exclusively in the crew cab body style, in regular- and long-box configurations and in 2WD and 4WD. The Duramax diesel/Allison 1000 powertrain is available across the board.
A Denali-specific chrome grille makes the truck instantly recognizable. Additional chrome trim and body-color bumpers further distinguish it. Sierra Denali also offers a unique combination of interior style and luxury, including standard nuance perforated leather-appointed front seats, with heated and cooled, 12-way power-adjustable front seats and a leather-wrapped, heated steering wheel.
Denali models feature a unique center console, enhanced interior bright work and detailed, highly finished embossed sill plates. The center console has woodgrain trim and a lid that conceals the cupholders, creating a more finished and refined appearance.
Sierra HD exterior features
Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD models are distinguished by a power dome-style hood with a louvered design, as well as a wide grille with chrome accents and full-width chrome steel front bumper. A lineup of 17- (Dually), 18- and 20-inch wheel/tire combinations are offered.
Standard and available exterior features also include:
- Heated outside mirrors are available on all models; heated outside and power-adjustable vertical camper-style mirrors with turn signal indicators are available on 2500HD SLE, SLT and Denali and standard on 3500HD SLE, SLT and Denali models
- Front recovery hooks are standard on all models
- EZ-Lift locking tailgate feature is available on all models
- Seventeen-inch steel wheels are standard on 2500HD Work Truck and all 3500HD SRW models
- Seventeen-inch chrome-clad steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck
- Seventeen-inch machine-finish aluminum wheels are standard on 2500HD SLE
- Seventeen-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are standard on 3500 Denali HD with dual rear wheels and available on SLE and SLT with dual rear wheels
- Eighteen-inch painted steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck and standard on 3500HD Work Truck with SRW with the 6.0L engine (available with Duramax diesel)
- Eighteen-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are standard on 2500HD SLT and Denali models and on 3500HD SRW SLE, SLT and Denali models
- Twenty-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are available on 2500HD SLE, SLT and Denali
- Exterior colors: Sonoma Metallic, Heritage Blue Metallic, Onyx Black, Mocha Steel Metallic, Stealth Grey Metallic, Steel Grey Metallic, Summit White, Fire Red and Quicksilver Metallic.
Sierra HD interior standard and available features
Sierra HD models are designed to be comfortable and convenient while on the job, with features that include 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models and numerous storage compartments that provide covered access for everything from work gloves to laptops.
For those who work out of their truck, Sierra HDs serve as mobile workspaces, offering mobile WiFi as a dealer-installed option, USB connectivity, Bluetooth for phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio and a navigation system. Multiple charge points enable multiple electronic devices to operate simultaneously.
Cold-weather customers warm up quicker with the Duramax 6.6L engine, which has a starting time on par with gas engines. Its glow plug cycle time takes no more than 3 seconds in temperatures as low as -20 F (-29 C).
Highlights of all models’ standard and available interior features include:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on Denali and SLT and available on SLE; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on Work Truck and SLE
- CD/DVD/MP3-capable audio system is available on select crew cab models
- Navigation radio with MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and USB port is available on Denali and SLT models
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on SLE, SLT and Denali models and available on Work Truck. SiriusXM NavTraffic feature is available on 2500 SLE, SLT and Denali and 3500 SLT and Denali
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on Denali and SLT models and available on Work Truck and SLE
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on Denali and SLT crew cab models
- Power-adjustable pedals are standard on Denali and available on SLE and SLT models
- Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on Denali and SLT and available on SLE models
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat is standard on Work Truck models and SLE models. SLE includes locking storage in the seat cushion
- Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on SLT models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on SLE models
- Front bucket seats with 12-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on Denali models
- Leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel is standard on Denali models
- Leather-appointed and heated and cooled front seats are standard on Denali models and available on SLT
- Interior trim colors include: Ebony, Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Titanium. Sierra Denali models are offered in Ebony and an exclusive Cocoa/Light Cashmere combination.
Sierra HD Powertrains
A Vortec 6.0L gas V-8 with variable valve timing is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission as the standard powertrain across the Sierra HD model range. This combination delivers excellent performance and efficiency, with an emphasis on low-rpm performance. It is rated at 360 horsepower (268 kW) and 380 lb.-ft. of torque (515 Nm).
New for 2013 is a bi-fuel version of the 6.0L engine – known by its LC8 engine code – which features special hardened valves and valve seats that enables it to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) or gasoline.
The Duramax 6.6L diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 2500HD and 3500HD models. Highlights of the Duramax diesel include:
- 397 horsepower (296 kW) at 3,000 rpm
- 765 lb.-ft. of torque (1,037 Nm) at 1,600 rpm
- High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions
- Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades without actuating the brakes
- Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between DEF refills
- Combustion and after-treatment have been optimized to provide about 700 miles (1,125 km) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel
- B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
The Allison 1000 features driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the tow/haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
Sierra HD chassis and suspension
All Sierra HD models feature fully boxed frame assemblies – 18 different assemblies that accommodate all of the range’s configurations. The front sections are hydroformed.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Front gross axle weight rating up to 5,600 pounds (2,540 kg), enabling a snow plow to be used on all 4WD cab configurations with the available snow plow prep package.
- Short-long arm/torsion bar front suspension features forged steel upper control arms and precision-machined cast iron lower control arms.
- Five different torsion bar rates support five different front gross axle weight ratings to help stabilize the range of trim heights of various models under load, while enhancing appearance, handling, durability, tire wear and alignment. The trim height is adjusted on each bar via a single bolt, easily allowing the height to be changed to account for the weight of a snow plow or other accessories.
- An upper shock mount attachment design that’s positively connected to the frame with two fasteners, eliminating squeaks and clunks, while supporting higher load capability and increased durability.
- Asymmetrical leaf-spring design that minimizes axle hop and enhances traction control efficiency.
- Two-stage leaf-spring design on 2500HD models and three-stage design on 3500HD model. All models feature 3-inch-wide (76 mm) leaf springs.
- Z71 Off Road suspension is available on SLE and SLT models and includes 35mm deflective disk twin-tube shock absorbers, off-road jounce bumpers, 33mm front stabilizer bar and a skid plate package.
- Four-wheel disc brakes with hydroboost are standard on all models.
- Four-wheel, four-channel ABS is standard on all single-rear-wheel models and a three-channel system is standard on dual-rear-wheel models.
- The frame-mounted hitch for conventional trailering has a box-tube design and supports up to 18,000 pounds (8,164 kg).
Sierra HD safety and crash-avoidance features
Sierra has a strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Head curtain side air bags with rollover protection and seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger are standard on Denali models with single rear wheels and available on other Sierra HD models. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment, while the seat-mounted air bags provide thorax and pelvic protection.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all single-rear-wheel models
- Large, four-wheel disc brakes with four-wheel ABS are standard on all models
- High-strength steel tubular frame cross member that enhances safety and improves crashworthiness
- Rear vision camera system is standard on Denali and available on other models
- Trailer sway control system on all single-rear-wheel models
- Hill start assist is standard on single-rear-wheel models.
Trailer sway control system provides an added measure of confidence when towing a trailer. The system senses conditions of trailer sway and intervenes with braking and/or reduced engine power to bring the trailer under control and keep it on its intended path. The system will use electric trailer brakes when a trailer is plugged into the standard wiring harness of the truck and requires no input from the driver.
The hill start assist system is automatically engaged when sensors detect the vehicle is on grade of approximately 5 percent or greater. It holds the brakes for 1.5 seconds or until the gas pedal is pressed, preventing rollback – it is particularly effective when towing, giving the driver time to switch from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without rolling.
OnStar is standard on all Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD models, except Work Truck, where it is available. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies. Additional features:
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the vehicle by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed
- The MyGMC Owner App and OnStar RemoteLink™ App enable customers to keep track of essential vehicle information, including fuel level, fuel range, current mileage and more, as well as remote access to the vehicle’s features, such as unlocking doors or remotely starting the vehicle, from the convenience of a smartphone
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.